Thursday, July 14, 2011

Disneyland, Unemployment and Carmaggedon

Disneyland/California Adventure

Just got back from Disneyland and California Adventure. We took up the current offer of the $139.00 for a 3 Day/1 Park a Day pass offered to southern California residents. It was pretty awesome. Good to finally get away with the family and not be on a schedule. Our friend Chris suggested that we watch the "Fantasmic" water show in the Frontier Land/New Orleans area of Disneyland. Awesome! It was really well done. Disney of course pulled out all the stops on this one. The paddle boat in the end with all of the characters on board was really cool. Worth the wait. Our spot was not the best so I suggest maybe staking out some prime real estate early. The best spot for viewing is right in front of the Pirates of the Caribbean. We were more to the left of the stage in front of the Haunted Mansion. Get as close to the water as possible. You may get a little misted there, but it's a great spot.

Overall a great time at both parks. Thank god were were not hit with the heat that is expected this upcoming "Carmageddon" weekend! I was amazed by was the amount of obese people there. Sad.

Speaking of obesity and food, If I can also make a suggestion. The food at Disneyland in most spots is extremely overpriced. We chose to get stamped for re-entry to the park and hit all of the restaurants on Katella Blvd. Just about a mile down the road (if that), there were several choices. Roy's (Hawaiian), CPK, Bubba Gump's, Cheesecake Factory, etc. Put it this way the first day at the park I paid $25.00 for (3) turkey dogs and (3) waters. For dinner we went to Cheesecake Factory where I paid $37.00 for a pepperoni pizza, tuna tartar, field greens house salad, children's mac and cheese, Amstel light beer, milk and coffee. Nuff said. Take a minute to eat better and you can still go back to the park and not have the aftermath of a bad one.

Unemployment

So I just found out that EDD is going to be issuing Visa debit cards through Bank of America (I use the "A" for something else). This will be coming to me in place of checks and will be automatically credited to my account on the day of payment. This should help in the frustration of not getting checks consistently on the same days. Infuriating if you've ever had to rely in unemployment.

Now here's my beef with a Visa debit card. Once again you have big brother intruding into your life. This now gives them the opportunity to see what your spending your money on. Now granted I have not been issued or used the card yet and not have read the fine print, but doesn't this seem just like another gimmick to look into my personal spending? Enough already! I don't want another card, password of pin for something. What I would like is automatic deposit! And California wonders why they are going down in flames. This just is proof of more stupid spending.

Carmageddon

There is no doubt in my mind that this is going to suck for many people. Pure chaos on the horizon. However, we have all been given the ample notice to make our arrangements on how were going to handle it. I plan on staying home and maybe catching up on some movies, bbq and take some time to really enjoy doing nothing. It's a weekend for crying out loud. Oh boo hoo to all the people crying about how they won't be able to drive the beach. Really, one weekend? Is it really that hard to hang out on your own neighborhood for 2 days? Support your local businesses instead? Obviously there will be people that need to be out there and my hat's off to them. However, if anyone knows me, I am THE WRONG PERSON to have out on the roads Carmageddon weekend.

Good luck out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment